“There is so much noise in the world! May we learn to be silent in our hearts and before God.” (Pope Francis – Nov. 18, 2014)
“Let us listen once more to Jesus, with all the love and respect that the Master deserves. Let us allow his words to unsettle us, to challenge us and to demand a real change in the way we live. Otherwise holiness will remain no more than an empty word.” (Gaudate et Exultate – Apostolic Exhortation on the call to Holiness in Today’s World – March 19, 2018)
This will be my final communique to you as BC & Yukon Provincial Communications Chairperson. It has been an honour and a privilege to have served you in this capacity. I have enjoyed all aspects of what this position entails, but I have especially enjoyed receiving, editing and publishing all the wonderful articles and stories that were sent for publication in the Communicator. To read about the wonderful works that are carried out in the parishes over the entire province gives me great pride and hope that our League is strong and very viable for the future.
A warm welcome is extended to Elaine Smuland, newly elected Diocesan Communications Chairperson for the Nelson diocese.
Thank you to the chairpersons continuing for another year: Kathy Dahl (Kamloops diocese), Susan Steiner (Prince George Diocese) Mirella Manarin (Vancouver Diocese) and Carol Vanderbyl who is covering all communiques for the Whitehorse diocese. Sandi Digras, thank you for saying yes for another term in this committee for the Victoria diocese A huge thank you goes to Elizabeth Cytra (Nelson diocese) for all her work under this committee over the last two years. May our gracious Lord bestow many blessings on each of you.
Advocating for all that we believe and stand for.
During these months, when we may have more time on our hands, and especially when the Legislature and Parliament are not in session, let us not forget to write to our MLA’s and MP’s on issues which we are truly passionate about. They may have more time to actually read our letters and be able to meet with their constituents during a time when they are not in session. Let us not forget to be the voice for those who have no voice or who may not be able to find their voice. To use a quote, from Pope Francis, which I included in my last communique, “It is not enough to say we are Christians. We must live the faith not only with our words, but with our actions.”
Keep the campaign alive in whatever way is best for your council and for yourselves – sending in the postcards, signing petitions, writing letters. It is a perennial problem which has been around for a long time and will take a long time to erase. We need to be ever vigilant and ever persistent that something be done to erase this societal evil especially due to the harm it places on families and especially our children – our most important resource.
Have you and the members of your council seen the documentary entitled “Over 18”? Perhaps watching this and then having a postcard campaign or letter writing campaign could be combined to fulfill the action plan contained in Resolution 2017.02 Mandatory Age Verification Mechanisms for Adult Pornographic Websites. Statements on the postcards might include (Statements and questions taken from the Alberta CWL websites –new pornography hurts postcards)
- Degrading images on porn websites can induce sexual assault, violence and bullying.
- It’s absurd that an 8 year old can click an “18+” button to access porn websites.
- It’s absurd that porn magazine sales are limited to 18+, yet websites are unregulated.
- It’s alarming that any child with a computer or cell phone can access online porn.
- Gambling sites must verify that users are “18+”as should harmful porn websites.
- Marijuana is regulated to protect minors, as should harmful porn websites.
- Porn breeds a culture of rape and abuse that often targets women and children.
- Porn is abusive and degrading for voiceless victims of human trafficking.
- Porn fuels the global sex trade, inciting demand for human trafficking.
- Porn victims are scarred for life, as their images circulate forever.
- Porn victims’ sense of humiliation and worthlessness escalates with age.
- Sexual education shouldn’t encompass violent and degrading porn websites.
- Smoking, gambling and alcohol are regulated, as should addictive porn.
- The United Kingdom has shown that age verification for porn websites is doable.
- Viewing porn can lead to damaging behaviors and sexual relationships.
Questions to the MP or the MLA might be:
- As our elected leader, how will you protect children from unrestricted online access?
- Can Canadians count on you to protect children from unrestricted online access?
- What action is the government taking to protect children from unrestricted online access?
The Communicator – The BC & Yukon Newsletter
You should have received the latest edition of the Spring Communicator and you can also find it on the website. Thank you to all who submitted articles. I really felt that this latest edition, whose theme was Speak Lord, I’m Listening, really resonated with many, and you will find many uplifting and enlightening articles and stories within it.
The deadline for the Fall Communicator 2018 is Oct. 20, 2018. I have not set a theme, leaving this for my successor. May she find as much joy in compiling the newsletter as I found.
Pope Francis’ Monthly Prayer Intentions
June 2018 – Universal Social Networks
That social networks, may work towards that inclusiveness which respects others for their differences.
July 2018 – Evangelization: Priests and their Pastoral Ministry
That priests, who experience fatigue and loneliness in their pastoral work, may find help and comfort in their intimacy with the Lord and in their friendship with their brother priests.
August 2018 – Universal: The Treasure of Families
That any far-reaching decisions of economists and politicians, may protect the family as one of the treasures of humanity.
The importance of Conventions
I hope to see many of you at the provincial convention in Whitehorse and at the National convention in Winnipeg. To understand the scope of the Catholic Women’s League and all it stands for, attending a convention at any level will give you an appreciation that will be eye-opening. To experience the camaraderie, the spirituality, the solidarity, the fun and the friends you will make will change you forever.
May our Lady of Good Counsel continue to richly bless us and guide us as we follow Jesus and do his work. We are his hands, his feet, his mouth, his ears. on earth. Through us, may his message and loving, peaceful actions reach all those we encounter.
Ciao for now and God bless.