I hope that this year is one of light, truth and the mercy of Christ for you and your loved ones.
Several of you will have participated in the “Chocks Away” workshop, given by our now Past President, Evelyn Rigby, at your Diocesan Conventions. Evelyn drafted a list of you and your members concerns that were brought forward at these workshops, into categories. This direct feedback is important to consider, and I am going to list one concern from each of the nine categories, and if possible, a resolution that may be related to them. I ask you to consider these, and think about ways to validate them, either by bringing a resolution forward and acting on the action plan, making a resolution, and/or teaching/inviting a presenter who can advance the topic to members.
- Education – SOGI 123 in schools – Provincial Resolution 2018.03 Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity 123 (SOGI 123)
- Penalties – Bring back a stiffer penalty for injuring or killing of law enforcement individuals.
- Abortion – Start a campaign to stop abortion funding. National Resolutions 2004.01 Protection of Human Life. 1995.02 Abortion Funding.
- Medication – Cannabis and its effects on students/young adults. See the attached document: B.C. Legislative Assembly. Extracts from Bill C-30: Cannabis control and Licensing Act.
- Health Funding – Mental health stigma. National Resolution 2004.06 National Strategy for Suicide Prevention
- Environment – Plastic pollution garbage which harms the environment. National Resolutions 2018.02 Setting a Standard for Products Marketed as Flushable. 02 Ban Plastic Microbeads in Personal Care Products.
- Rights and Freedoms – That healthcare professionals be protected from loss of licences & employment to guard their freedom of speech & let them not do cases of abortion and euthanasia. National Resolution 03 Legislate Designation of Hospice/Palliative Care Services in Facilities to Exclude Medical Assistance in Dying. 2017.04 Protection from Coercion of Conscience for Healthcare Professionals. Provincial Resolution 2016 Motion for the BC & Yukon provincial rights of conscience resolution passed at the floor of the national convention in Halifax NS.
- Elderly – A living wage for seniors. National Resolution 05 Old Age Security Allowance for Individuals 60 to 64 Years of Age Regardless of Marital Status.
- Miscellaneous – Child poverty, supporting incomes of parents by understanding and identifying the root causes in order to determine opportunities to resolve the problem. National Resolutions 2011.02 Children of Missing and Murdered Aboriginal Women. 2003.01 Affordable Housing for Low-Income Canadians.
- Human Trafficking. National Resolutions 01: Exit Strategies for Prostituted Persons. Archived National Resolution 2012.01 Criminalization of the Purchasing of Sexual Services. Provincial Resolution 2012.01 Protection and Care of Sexually Exploited Children
Lastly, and maybe it should be ‘firstly’, we should always strive to seek holiness, for ourselves and with others. It is in our responsibility to encourage and guide our members to do this. One of the best pieces of advice that I received was to increase my prayer life when I increased my responsibility. To be a Diocesan Committee member is an increase in the things that we are called upon to do and represent. I encourage you to be guided by the Holy Spirit to seek a way to pray more and in all ways.
What the Constitution & Bylaws tells us about the responsibilities of the Education and Health Chair:
a) Catholic Education
i.) Catholic schools and catechesis
ii.) Rites of Christian Initiation
b)Literacy and continuing education
c)Scholarships and bursaries
d)Wellness and sickness/disease
May God richly bless you as you educate yourselves and others through your dedication to CWL.
May our Lady of Good Counsel guide you.
Chairperson of Education and Health